Office Contact

Office Forms & Applications

Building Permit Application
Business License Application
Council Delegation Application
Demolition Permit
Development Permit Application
Development Variance Permit Application
Development Variance Permit Application Guide
Dog licence application
Liquor and Cannabis Licence Application
OCP Amendment Application
Rezoning Application- Form
Sign Permit Application
Temporary Use Application
Water and Sewer Connection Application

Administration Menu

Emergency Contacts

Police, Fire, Medical




The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) are responsible for law enforcement in the Municipality.
Phone: 250 692‑7171
Address: 147 Hwy 35
Mailing Address: PO Box 759 Burns Lake, BC V0J 1E0


Fire Chief: 250 692‑7587
In case of a wildfire contact the Ministry of Forests, Protection Branch
Call toll free 1 800 663‑5555 or *5555 on most cellular networks.


Lakes District Hospital and Health Centre 250 692‑2400
Burns Lake Medical Clinic 250 692‑3111

Municipal Elections

Thinking of Running for Local Office?

Learn more here.

General Local Elections are held every four years for Mayor and Council.  Candidates are voted in for a four-year term. Electors in Burns Lake vote to choose:

  • One (1) Mayor
  • Four (4) Councillors

If you want to speak to someone about the Burns Lake Election you can call the Chief Elections Officer or Deputy Chief Elections Officer at 250-692-7587


Who Can Run for Council?

A person is qualified to be nominated, elected, and to hold office as a member of local government if they meet the following criteria:

  • Canadian citizen;
  • 18 years of age or older on General Voting Day;
  • Resident of B.C. for at least 6 months immediately before the day nomination papers are filed;
  • Are not disqualified by the Local Government Act or any other enactment from voting in an Election in B.C. or from being nominated for, being elected to, or holding office.


More information about running for office and nominations packages will be posted as it comes available.

Who Can Vote?

  • All Village of Burns Lake residents who meet the eligibility criteria listed below can vote.  People who own property in Burns Lake but live outside Burns Lake can also vote.
  • Landed immigrants who are not yet Canadian citizens are not permitted to vote in Civic Elections.
  • No corporation is entitled to be registered as an elector or have a representative registered as an elector and no corporation is entitled to vote.

Only Village of Burns Lake residents and non-resident property owners are eligible to vote in the Burns Lake Election.


Burns Lake Resident Elector – Eligibility

To vote in a civic Election in Burns Lake you must be at the time of voting:

  • At least 18 years of age on or before General Voting Day;
  • A Canadian citizen;
  • Have lived in B.C. for at least six months;
  • Have lived in the the Village of Burns Lake for at least 30 days; and
  • Not disqualified from voting by any statute or law.

Non-Resident Property Elector – Eligibility

If you own property in Burns Lake but live somewhere else you can vote as long as you are:

  • At least 18 years of age on or before General Voting Day;
  • A Canadian citizen;
  • Have lived in B.C. for at least six months;
  • Have owned real property in the Village of Burns Lake for at least 30 days;
  • Not eligible to vote as a Resident Elector in the Village of Burns Lake;
  • Registered owners of the real property, either as joint tenants or tenants in common, not holding the property in trust for a corporation or another trust;
  • Not disqualified from voting by any statute or law.

A qualifying non-resident property elector may register at the polls providing:

  • 2 pieces of identification (one with residence address and one with your signature); and
  • proof satisfactory to the official that the person applying is entitled to register in relation to the real property (e.g., current year’s tax notice from the Village of Burns Lake; and if applicable, providing written consent from the other registered property owner/s of the real property.

As a non-resident property elector you can vote only once, regardless of the number of properties you own.  If you have more than one registered owner of your property only one of you, with the written consent of the majority of the other individuals, may vote.  If you have questions about registering as a non-resident property elector, contact the Chief Elections Officer or the Deputy Elections Officer at 250-692-7587.

Burns Lake Elector – Registration

The Village of Burns Lake  uses same day voting registration. All you need to do is register at the polls by meeting the Elector criteria mentioned above, and providing two pieces of identification proving residence, and identity, and in the case of non-resident property electors, proof of ownership. Please note for same day voting registration, you can only register to vote at the polls.

Acceptable Pieces of Identification

The following are deemed to be acceptable identification for the purposes of registering to vote at the Polls (one must contain your signature):

  • a British Columbia Driver’s Licence;
  • a British Columbia Identification Card issued by the Motor Vehicle Branch;
  • an Owner’s Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle Licence issued by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia;
  • a British Columbia CareCard or British Columbia Gold CareCard;
  • a Ministry of Social Development and Economic Security Request for Continued Assistance Form;
  • a Social Insurance Card issued by Human Resources Development Canada;
  • a Citizenship Card issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada;
  • a real property tax notice issued under section 237 of the Community Charter;
  • a credit card or debit card issued by a savings institution as defined in section 29 of the Interpretation Act; or
  • a utility bill issued for the supply of electricity, natural gas, water, telephone services or coaxial cable services.

Elector Disqualification

You are disqualified from voting if:

  • You have not completed a sentence for an indictable offence, unless that person is released on probation or parole and is not in custody;
  • You have been involuntarily confined to a psychiatric or other institution as a result of being acquitted of or found not criminally responsible for an offence under the Criminal Code on account of a mental disorder; and/or
  • You have been found guilty of an Election-related offence.

Voting Opportunities:  Where & When

  • General Voting Day
  • Advanced Voting
  • Special Voting (To vote at these locations you must be a patient/resident or a Staff member)

More Questions?

If you have any questions regarding the upcoming Elections, please contact the Chief Elections Officer or Deputy Chief Elections Officer – 250-692-7587.

Or check on the Provincial Government’s website.
For Campaign Financing information please see the Elections BC website
Regional District of Bulkley Nechako and School District #91 Elections are held at the same time as Local Government Elections.  Please contact these agencies directly for information on their Elections.

Resources & Links

Election News

No Results Found

The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.