Office Contact

Office Forms & Applications

Building Permit Application
Business License Application
Council Delegation Application
Demolition Permit
Development Permit Application
Development Variance Permit Application
Development Variance Permit Application Guide
Dog licence application
Liquor and Cannabis Licence Application
OCP Amendment Application
Rezoning Application- Form
Sign Permit Application
Temporary Use Application
Water and Sewer Connection Application

Administration Menu

Emergency Contacts

Police, Fire, Medical




The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) are responsible for law enforcement in the Municipality.
Phone: 250 692‑7171
Address: 147 Hwy 35
Mailing Address: PO Box 759 Burns Lake, BC V0J 1E0


Fire Chief: 250 692‑7587
In case of a wildfire contact the Ministry of Forests, Protection Branch
Call toll free 1 800 663‑5555 or *5555 on most cellular networks.


Lakes District Hospital and Health Centre 250 692‑2400
Burns Lake Medical Clinic 250 692‑3111

The Village of Burns Lake Zoning Bylaw No. 880 was adopted by Council in 2008.  The zoning bylaw contains regulations which are used to manage the use and development of land within the Village.  The land within the Village is divided into zones, and each zone has different regulations regarding use, density, the siting, size and dimensions of buildings, as well as the shape and size of any new parcels created by subdivision.  The zoning bylaw includes a map showing the extent of each zone.

The Village of Burns Lake Official Community Plan Bylaw No. 970 was adopted by Council in 2017.  An OCP is a document that sets out the community’s vision and future goals.  The OCP objectives and policies provide a basis for decision making on matters related to present and anticipated future land use planning and management.  The goals and objectives of the OCP include specific land use designations which are implemented through the zoning bylaw regulations.  The OCP bylaw includes a map showing the extent of each land use designation.

When do I need to apply for a Zoning Bylaw Amendment?

A property owner or their agent may apply to amend the zoning of their property if their proposed development will not comply with the existing regulations. Zoning amendment applications are processed by Village staff and presented to Council for approval.  If the proposed zoning amendment is not consistent with the OCP, then an OCP amendment application will also be required.  These applications can be processed and considered by Council at the same time. Village staff can help you determine what kind of application is necessary.

Zoning Bylaw Amendments are commonly used to:

  • Change the permitted use of a property;
  • Change the permitted density of a property; or
  • Allow a property to be subdivided differently.

What are the steps involved?

Both zoning and OCP amendment applications must follow a process outlined by the Local Government Act and the Village Development Procedures Bylaw.  A zoning/OCP amendment bylaw must receive three readings and adoption by Council.  A public hearing is required between first and third reading to allow public comment on the proposal.  The time required to complete a zoning/OCP bylaw amendment application varies depending on the scope and complexity of the proposal, but usually takes several months to complete.

  1. Contact the Village Office and discuss your intended development with staff. Staff will help you determine what documents, plans, reports and studies that you will need to submit with your application.
  2. Submit a completed Zoning Amendment form to the Village Office with all required supporting documents and the application fee.
  3. Staff will complete a technical review of the application. If further information is required, it will be requested from the applicant at this point.
  4. A referral report will be prepared and sent to departments identified as having potential interest (e.g. public works, fire department, Ministry of Transportation), and sent to Council for information.
  5. The referral comments, a comprehensive staff report, and draft bylaw are then presented to Council for first and second reading. Council may approve or deny the application at this stage.
  6. If given first and second reading, a public hearing will be held. This public hearing is advertised through a sign placed on the property, notices sent to nearby property owners and tenants, and through the local newspaper.  At the public hearing, anyone who feels their interests are affected by the proposed bylaw may comment on the application.
  7. After the public hearing the application and draft bylaw will be presented to Council for third reading. The application may be approved, approved with conditions or denied at this stage.  If there are no conditions required prior to adopting the bylaw, Council may adopt the bylaw at the same time as third reading. Once conditions of approval have been met (if applicable), Council may adopt the bylaw.  After the bylaw is adopted the application is considered complete. If the application is denied, the applicant must wait one year to reapply.