Office Contact

Office Forms & Applications

Building Permit Application
Business License Application
Council Delegation Application
Demolition Permit
Development Permit Application
Development Variance Permit Application
Development Variance Permit Application Guide
Dog licence application
Liquor and Cannabis Licence Application
OCP Amendment Application
Rezoning Application- Form
Sign Permit Application
Temporary Use Application
Water and Sewer Connection Application

Administration Menu

Emergency Contacts

Police, Fire, Medical




The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) are responsible for law enforcement in the Municipality.
Phone: 250 692‑7171
Address: 147 Hwy 35
Mailing Address: PO Box 759 Burns Lake, BC V0J 1E0


Fire Chief: 250 692‑7587
In case of a wildfire contact the Ministry of Forests, Protection Branch
Call toll free 1 800 663‑5555 or *5555 on most cellular networks.


Lakes District Hospital and Health Centre 250 692‑2400
Burns Lake Medical Clinic 250 692‑3111

Development Variance Permits (DVPs) are required when a property owner is seeking to vary specific requirements or provisions in the Village of Burns Lake Zoning Bylaw, Subdivision and Servicing Bylaw or Sign Regulation Bylaw. Changes to the use or density of a property cannot be accomplished through a DVP.

DVP applications are reviewed by Village staff and presented  to Council for consideration.  If approved by a resolution from Council, the DVP is registered against the title of the property.  DVPs can be processed concurrently with a rezoning, subdivision or development permit applications.

When do I need to apply for a Development Variance Permit?

DVPs are most commonly used when a property owner wants vary a provision of the zoning bylaw for a development on their property.  The DVP cannot alter the use or density of the zoning bylaw regulation.

DVPs  are commonly acquired for:

  • Varying a maximum building height;
  • Varying minimum property line setbacks;
  • Varying off-street parking and loading requirements; or
  • Varying landscaping requirements.

What are the Steps Involved?

  1. Contact the Village Office and discuss your intended development with staff. Staff will help you determine documents, plans, reports, and studies that you will need to submit with your application.
  2. Submit a completed DVP form to the Village of Burns Lake Office with all required supporting documents and the application fee.
  3. Staff will complete a technical review of the application. If further information is required, it will be requested from the applicant at this point.
  4. A referral report will be prepared and sent to departments identified as having potential interest (e.g. public works, fire department), and sent to Council for information. Notification letters are sent to property owners within 30  metres for comment at least 10 days prior to the Council meeting.
  5. At a regular Council meeting a staff report with a recommendation and draft permit will be presented to Council for consideration. Council will either approve, approve with conditions, or deny the application.  If approved, staff willissue the permit (once any conditions are met, if required) and register it on title. If denied, the applicant must wait one year to reapply.